Our Story

The first Lutheran Church service in Glens Falls was conducted on March 17, 1946, with 10 local people and 10 visitors present.  Pastor Theodore Schulze, of St. Paul's Lutheran Church of Saratoga Springs, conducted this and many other services like it until November 1947.  At this time the Atlantic District Mission Board purchased the house on Glen Street as the permanent home of the congregation.  In December 1947 a temporary chapel was opened in the living room of the house, and services were conducted there under the ministry of Pastor Gary E. Germann for five years.  The congregation was organized on June 5, 1949, with 114 Charter Communicant Members.   The church building was erected in stages.  In December of 1952, the lower level chapel of our present building was opened and used for the first time.  Growing Sunday School enrollment necessitated an expansion program begun in 1958.  The new addition to the south end of the building was finished with the dedication of the new addition on May 10, 1959.   After a fifteen year unique Outdoor Drive-In Worship Service ministry during the summer, these services were discontinued at the end of the summer in 1964.  They were held at the local Drive-In Theatre on Route 9.   After twenty-seven years of ministry, Pastor Gary E. Germann retired in January, 1974.   Pastor Peter S. Hoyer accepted the call to become pastor and served the congregation from 1974 to 1977.   The end of 1977 saw the arrival of Pastor John S. Collier, who served the congregation until August of 1982.  During these years the congregation experienced phenomenal growth and once again the building was expanded.  January 11, 1981, with the addition to the south and west ends of the building, the church was re-dedicated in a divine Worship Service.   Pastor Alfred P. Graser was installed August 21, 1983.  During his ministry we realized the installation of a new handicapped accessible elevator in March 1986, and a new organ in October of the same year.  During the twelve years that Pastor Graser was at Good Shepherd, many hours of family fellowship were organized.  In 1995 Pastor Alfred P. Graser retired and the Call Committee was once again put to work.   Pastor William B. Eberle came to Good Shepherd in May, 1996 from Ellis Hospital in Schenectady where he had served as Chaplain.  Pastor Eberle served in the U.S. Army as Chaplain and has a diverse geographical background.  In May 1998 the newly remodeled parsonage was dedicated.  The "Good Shepherd House", as it has been officially named, includes 4 upstairs classrooms, a large meeting room, library, and secretary's office.  Pastor Eberle retired in January of 2002.   Pastor Paul R. Wagner was installed at Good Shepherd on August 25, 2002. He came to us from Groton, Connecticut.  Since he has been here, the church has experienced more fellowship, worship and Bible study within our church community.  We face the future optimistically as we enjoy the Holy Spirit's Blessing of continued growth.